Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"Oh my oh my..."

I only got a chance to watch a portion of the "A New Earth" class last night but one thing they did touch upon which rang clear to me had to do with complaining. I'm not sure if there is a bigger complainer than me...especially in my own head. I whine about things in my thoughts all the day long. Sometimes it gets to the point where I don't even want to spend time with me!

What they talked about last night was that there are two different types of complaining. One type is meant to bring about positive change in a situation or other person. The example they used was, "My soup is cold." That complaint, in most restaurants, will prompt the wait person to bring your soup back into the kitchen to spit in it and warm it through before returning it to you for your enjoyment.

The other kind of complaining is the kind that you do when you are looking for agreement or consolation from your inner self or from someone around you. An example of this is, "I have no time to get anything done" or "there's just not enough time in the day." Those are my favorites. When I say them I'm looking for an, "Oh poor you" or even the response of, "You don't work all day, what do you do that keeps you so busy." Of course them's fightin' words and maybe that's what I was looking for also.

The problem with the second type of complaint is that it causes no positive change. It doesn't cause you to do less or take a nap or get take-out that night. It just annoys your well-being.

So my question is three-fold:

How much do you complain in a day, does it affect any positive change and does it play any part in coloring your day or life?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok..I think everyone feels the same way.."where did the day go" I have no time at all...you get up work, clean, cook, wash and sleep". So my question is ..with all this technology that we spend so much time using...we should have plenty of time....
I use to complain about the weather, the traffic, other people, crowds, etc...now since you cannot change it...I try to bear with it...I also try my darndest to help others when they complain but...I LOSE MY PATENCE...LEAVE ME THE HELL ALONE...IF YOU DON'T WANT TO CHANGE IT..STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT IT....
the end....signed Angela (aka anonymous since I forgot my password)...

Scott said...

Now that you mention it, what DO you do all day?

Anonymous said...

Complaining is a waste of time, but it does make people feel good to vent. I do more of it thank I'd like (no one complains LESS than they'd like, I bet). I'd like to do a little better, and I am grateful to have friends who pick me up, as I try to do the same for them when they are down.

Patience is a virtue. Impatience is a virtue, too. (just not a great one).