Monday, March 24, 2008

Who am I???

Another interesting Oprah and Eckart class. I had a "wow" moment tonight. The class was about the "roles" we all have and how they don't define who we are.

It got me to thinking that I have always been labeled and that I've always felt defined by those labels. I started out being Gus's daughter (everybody know my father in our community), then I became Dot's sister (my next older sister, Dorothea, was very popular...at least that's what it said in all the boys' bathroom stalls.....just kidding...she's a saint!), next I was Scott's wife, followed by Courtney's and Steven's mother. In the middle of those I help many other roles which labeled me...Service Unit manager for Girl Scouts, Vice President of the church council, Chairman of the church poperty committee, secretary of the board of directors for our town house community and on and on.

I think that is why I'm searching for something now. I have no label. Even though I'll always be Scott's wife and Courtney and Steven's mom, those labels no longer say who I am or I no longer allow them to. I learned tonight that they never really did define me but that I defined myself through those labels and that molded who I was and how I acted.

So my question is, what do you think you are defined by and is it an accurate definintion of who you really are?

No comments: