Thursday, February 28, 2008

Behaviors

"Learning and then practicing new behaviors regarding our relationships with others can be exciting and very hopeful.
Any struggle we may be having at work or home requires that we do something differently. We may not be totally at fault, of course, but we cannot change someone else's behavior or way of thinking. Fortuantely, we can change our own.
That's the good news. It takes away a burden we don't need. Taking even a moment before responding to someone else's drama can change everything about the experience.
An idea as simple as smiling at anyone even before saying a word can make an experience far more productive and peaceful, and far less dramatic."

"It's Up to You -- A Practice to Change Your Life by Changing Your Mind" -
Karen Casey
I read this last night after having had an aggravating experience dealing with an employee at Comcast earlier in the day. I did smile at the woman when I saw her and, I thought, calmly and nicely explained that the cable box was going to push me over the edge if I didn't get it changed. Now, I'm not sure if it was my droll sense of humor or what, but my dealings with this woman went way down hill after that. So when I came across this reading I wondered if it was not really she who had the problem or if it was some vibe coming off of me. I wish I had read this before meeting her so I could have really tested it out. Next time I'll be ready!
Today or tomorrow if you should come across someone who is just not being nice or treating you unfairly, try out Karen Casey's suggestion from "It's Up to You" and see what happens. See if changing your behavior will make them change theirs. Let us know how it worked.

3 comments:

Scott said...

Hi Vicki. This looks like a fun blog.

You might recall I met the same woman the day before when I picked up the cable box. I can assure you a smile was not going to fix her cranky disposition. I don't think a $50 bill would have worked either.

Some people are just miserable. Look at me, for example.

=B-)

Scott

Hubster said...

Wow...my first blog comment. Thank you....SMILE!

Courtney said...

You should try pulling a gun on her next time....that would surely precipitate a change in her attitude!