Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Would you rather...

After the sadness and worry of yesterday I thought I would look to the good today.
So, last night, knowing how badly I felt for my friends, my loving husband was even more attentive than usual. He repeatedly asked me what he could get me or if there was anything he could do for me. In trying to focus on the positive I decided to bask in his attention. I had him refill my water jug, take the dog out, bring me an apple, etc.
Then (between watching American Idol and Big Brother) I dropped the book I was reading and…kerplunk…it opened to this page and I found the question of the day:

Would you rather…
Marry someone who is kind but not really in love with you?
OR
Marry someone who treats everyone else terribly and disrespectfully but totally adores you?

Right away, in the “all about me” state I was floating in I chose option #2…someone who is totally hung up on me (that’s what I have anyway!) Then as I thought it through I realized that no matter how much you’re loved, if the person doing the loving of you is horrible to everyone else the happiness you enjoy could quickly turn to misery. Just think about the amount of embarrassment you would have to suffer (now, of course, the reason we tend to be embarrassed by the way our loved ones act is another question for another day.)
Then I got to thinking that is marrying a great person who treats you with kindness but doesn’t really love you…is that so bad? Is that better than being married to someone who is insanely jealous with love for you that they make your life a prison?
Hmmmmm, I think I’ve got the best solution…I’ll just rent out Scott…he’s the best of both worlds!
(And maybe I can make a little extra money on the side!!!!!!)

2 comments:

abava said...

I AM LATE IN COMMENTING ON THIS AND FOR THAT I AM SORRY...NO OPTION IS ACCEPTABLE THEREFORE NO ONE SHALL BE PICKED. I LIKE ME AND WHY SHOULDN'T THE PERSON I MARRY FEEL THE SAME WAY. AND I RESPECT FAMILY, FRIENDS AND STRANGERS, AND WHY SHOULDN'T THE PERSON I MARRY. I FEEL NO ONE SHOULD SELL THEMSELVES SHORT. YOU SHOULD NEVER SETTLE DUE TO AGE, WEIGHT, SELF ESTEEM...THERE IS SOMEONE OUT THERE FOR EVERYONE. I WAITED TILL I WAS IN MY MID 30'S, AND I TRULY SIFTED THRU MANY PERSONALTIES OF MEN, BUT THE GOOD LORD HAVE GIVEN ME NOT ONLY MY SOUL MATE, BUT MY BEST FRIEND. I LOVE HIM BEYOUND WORDS, I RESPECT HIM AND CHERISH EACH AND EVERY MOMENT WE SHARE TOGETHER.

Anonymous said...

Renting out Scott is what we'd call a low-growth, low-margin business... :)