Monday, March 3, 2008

Forgiveness or Bust....

This weekend we had dinner with some wonderful friends. We had good food, great conversations and a warm feeling of connectedness.
One of the conservations swung around to something that had happened to me when I was young (not that I'm old now, mind you...we all know 50 is the new 30). It was not a good thing that I went through but something that took years and hard work to overcome.
But the thing is not the issue here. What is the issue is that, during the course of maturing, I came to realize that I had to forgive the person who had done the bad thing to me or I would have lifelong bitterness that would erupt, like Mt. Vesuvius, at some of the most unexpected times bringing my happiness to a screeching halt. And since I really enjoy being a happy person that wouldn't do. So forgiveness was the answer.
Now, after we got home from our dinner, I got to thinking about the evening and what we talked about. I was feeling pretty proud of the fact that I had been able to let this past experience go and move on with a successful life. My mind shifted to thinking about other things that included forgiveness and then it hit me. I'm really good at forgiving the big things in my life...those that "hurt my heart". Where I am lacking is in letting go of the little, everyday things...the things that pop up from friends or family in passing. Those things I let fester and become bigger than life. What is with that? How come I can forgive horrible things but remain upset with someone because they didn't say anything about my new haircut (even if they didn't like it!) or didn't pick up my call when I KNOW they're home? Instead I let the little things turn into major plots to diminish my confidence and self-esteem.
So I guess it's obvious, I need a major attitude shift. After all, what value do those hard feelings bring to my life? Actually, they are just liable to make me into a somewhat bitter, paranoid, 52 going on 32 year old woman!

So my question for today is:

How do we "fluff off" the little things that happen on a day to day basis that ping your heart and make you feel sad, mad or, worse of all, make you "whine"?

4 comments:

abava said...

Even though there are day to day annonyances and people who can constantly annoy you, I think about how much worse a situation can be, sickness, loved ones gone, etc. and I realize "don't sweat the small stuff"..God is Great, He will help you overcome if you let him in...he gives you your most powerful tool in life, your mind....use it wisely.

Hubster said...

Jeepers, I'm glad you're back in my life! Good and grounded thoughts!

Anonymous said...

It's a real sign of wisdom that only comes with age that you can let the big slights go. Holding a grudge is something that younger people do.... and, in fact, most of the regrets I have are about the inability to get past slights and insults.

The high road has a lot less traffic, but it's usually the right road.

And by the way, your haircut is very nice....

Hubster said...

Well thank you...for the smart thoughts...and the compliment on my hair!!!!